Saturday, March 1, 2014

March

Oh it's been ages since I posted last. It feels like it's been a year. I can recap the last two months for you in two words. Nest building.


I've moved so many times it isn't even worth talking about anymore, but this one was nice. It felt really good to finally get all my things out of storage, to dump a bunch, and to rediscover all my treasures. Home building is my favorite part of life; finding homes for things, packing the bookshelves, making my stations, brilliantly making things more efficient, and also envisioning what this new place and space will bring and what we want more of in our lives.


I've been in the garden. The Bay Laurel in our backyard is huge, so big and dense that the crows roost in it at night, a Cooper's hawk fell out of it with a meal one morning, and the local raccoons consider it their territory. Turning the soil for the garden was one of the first tasks, along with making laurel wreaths and  taking stock of the herbals growing naturally on the property.

I've been doing lots of research on the Bay Laurel, not only because it's my namesake, but because it seems like it has brought me here in a way; I used Laurel leaves in my Hush installation, my old room mate and dear friend is named Daphne and it has some amazing uses through out history.




Our yard was a sea of tiny Crocus. I've never known Crocus' before and it was a splendor to see them pop their fresh faces out even after the snow storms. It's so nice to come home to and a hoot to see joggers slow their pace as they double take.



I've been debating canceling this blog. It feels forced and kind of trite to make the minutia seem like it counts for something. Who cares, really, when we have so much sharing on Facebook and Instagram in our daily lives. But I like the secretness of this space too and I promise to post more often this year.








No comments: