Friday, January 25, 2013

Making and sharing

We make our way home today, taking a long slow route to stay with friends along the way. It feels strange to leave this piece's side. It's been a constant companion for the last year and it feels like leaving a dear friend behind. 



I had a wonderful night sharing this piece with so many people at the opening. Some of my favorite responses...
"It's as if the forest floor was lifted into the sky and I was beneath it."
"It reminds me of earth, water and air."
"It made me think of a Chinese Dancing Dragon"
"Every stitch looks painful, but stitches can also be a kind of healing too"
"you might be a witch"


I've posted lots of pictures, but the pictures do no justice really. You must get under it and stand with the shadows and the light. It will be up until April 28th.


Statement:


I find that every once in awhile a powerful dream sensation or image comes through into my waking life, coloring my day and giving me the impression that I am not completely awake. Hush is a fragment of a dream made tangible. It is the remnant of something deep and unconscious expressed into reality.

My goal was to recreate something that could have come from the unconscious mind, something as strange and powerful as the experiences and visions we have while dreaming and at the same time as fragile and temporary as the experience of the dream itself. The decaying leaves, shadows, textures, light, and subtle smells all work together to evoke a surrealistic experience.

The process involved collecting and drying leaves selected specifically for their physical properties. Thousands of leaves from California Live Oaks, Eucalyptus, Holly and Bay Laurels, were hand stitched one by one over a ten-month period. They are actively in the process of decaying throughout the exhibition, eventually to disappear.



Onto new trails we go...  







No comments: