Monday, January 21, 2013

the magic of suspension

Today was the final day, the day I've been waiting for and working towards and imagining for the last 10 months or so. I've been joking that on my worst days, when I'm cursing the leaves and stabbed my hand for the 30th time and thinking this idea is the stupidest, I would close my eyes and imagine the piece completed and then know, that I had to complete it.


When I got back to the Fresno Art Museum I was really excited to see Kristina ( my replacement registrar) had gotten the band back together. Almost the entire Fresno Metropolitan installation/preparator staff was on hand. Mike and Sara helped install and were an important part of the planning process.


Slowly, but surely everything went up easy. Sara and I kept things steady and guided while Mike tied the lines into the rafters. Once things hung solidly we were able to remove the ladders and pedestals we used as supports.









The lights aren't set at this point, but the shadows started to get exciting.


 The light passing through some of the sections look just like stained glass. YES!


At this point, the piece is finished and we're playing with the lighting. Abelino and I had a great time climbing up and down on the ladders, moving the lights this way and that and oohing and aahing at the new shadows and layers of shadows.












Once it was complete, Ramiro and his daughter got comfortable enjoying the shadows. This is exactly how I want this piece to be appreciated.













No comments: