Friday, August 2, 2013

What's new?


I got a sweet new haircut. My first question was, of all the thousands of ways I've cut my hair, why haven't I done it like this before. I love it.


And, I did an interview with AuroraLady who is now writing for Dear Handmade Life. It's a pretty neat little blog space with an emphasis in DIY lifestyles, it has projects and interviews with other makers and artists living their dream.


My entire summer is consumed with teaching4-5 year olds, or as we call them at Trackers, the Rovers. We hang out in Oaks Bottom Wildlife refuge regularly and even though it's a urban space with paved bike trails and lots of joggers, we still have the surprise of a doe and fawn walking by as we sit quietly telling stories and watching the pair of peregrine falcons circle and chirp above our heads during our outdoor lunch. 


Working with this age group definitely has it's costs though. I've caught maybe three colds this summer, suffered through a bad bout of laryngitis and have a chronic cough I haven't been able to shake, but my immune system is adjusting to the hits and it seems my blood may become some kind of biochemical.



In the timeline that is my teaching career, working with Trackers feels like a natural progression. The next appropriate place to be that melds all my previous experiences and all my future teaching desires into one. I appreciate the trust and freedom the staff is given, the inventiveness of combining narratives with purposeful skill teaching, and the nature play that happens, not to mention all the amazing new skills I'm learning along the way.  



No comments: