Thursday, June 13, 2013

Road trip!

Columbia Gorge at 6am. 
We hit the road for Colorado last week. It was an amazing trip and we saw so much more than I could photograph. So these are some of my favorites. I loved being on the road and seeing this part of the country for the first time. 
looking southwest from eastern Oregon. At this viewing station was an elderly couple taking photographs, the husband snapping photo's of his wife with an instant camera, I offered to take a picture of them together with the view. 

we drove over this canyon then immediately back tracked to see it in person.  We also spotted some groundhogs scurrying around in the rocks below.

Utah just outside of Ogden on day three

The Devil's Slide, Utah

I never realized it would be so flat. We hit Wyoming on day three and saw a moose!

Colorado
The Colorado Nature and Science museum was impressive. I've never seen such a large collection of nature diorama's that were so elegantly put together. I couldn't get over the painted backgrounds.
Pronghorn elk, we saw tons of these guys along the roadways. This was at the Colorado Nature and Science museum.

Grizzly Bears are huge!

zach's favorite.


The prehistoric exhibit was one of our favorites.

The Clyfford Still Museum was mandatory for me, I made this visit solo while Z. ran errands.

Walking into this room had me in tears. I wasn't prepared for the scale and the emotion. I just stood here by the bench and cried. Such astounding, overwhelming beauty. I paced the galleries for two hours just getting sucked into the large scale color, the zips, and the strokes from the palette knife across raw canvas. The SFMoMA has a few Still paintings in their permanent collection and I always really loved visiting them. Being with these paintings felt like seeing long lost best friends.
Shot through the binoculars on our drive to Grand Junction, CO


Lovely Colorado sky.

This was our first road trip with a smartphone, I hated it and was impressed by it. I didn't like being so dependent upon it's convenience, but it was so dang convenient. It felt like it removed some of the serendipitous magic of traveling.

No comments: